New Delhi: Conveying its strongest term of protest on the violent face-off in Galwan Valley, India on Wednesday said that the Chinese side took pre-meditated and planned action in the valley with an intent to change the facts on ground in violation of all agreements to not change the status quo.
On June 15-16, a violent face-off took place in which 20 Indian soldiers were killed by the China’s PLA.
External Affairs Minister and the State Councillor and Foreign Minister of China Wang Yi had a phone conversation on Wednesday on recent developments in Ladakh.
Mr Jaishankar recalled that at the meeting of senior Military Commanders held on 6th June, an agreement was reached on de-escalation and disengagement along the Line of Actual Control (LAC).
“Ground commanders were meeting regularly to implement this consensus throughout the last week. While there was some progress, the Chinese side sought to erect a structure in Galwan valley on our side of the LAC. While this became a source of dispute, the Chinese side took pre-meditated and planned action that was directly responsible for the resulting violence and casualties,” Mr Jaishankar told his Chinese counterpart.
It reflected an intent to change the facts on ground in violation of all our agreements to not change the status quo.
The Ministry of External Affairs Ministry (MEA) said that the minister underlined that this unprecedented development will have a serious impact on the bilateral relationship. “The need of the hour was for the Chinese side to reassess its actions and take corrective steps. The two sides should scrupulously and sincerely implement the understanding that was reached by the Senior Commanders on 6th June.”
Troops of both sides should also abide by the bilateral agreements and protocols. They should strictly respect and observe the line of actual control and should not take any unilateral action to alter it, it added.
As per Chinese government mouthpiece Global Times quoting Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi said , “China urged India to investigate the clash incident in the border region on Monday, punish those responsible, and restrain its military forces in the region to prevent any provocative actions.”
“India must make sure similar incidents as that on Monday do not happen again. India must also not miscalculate the current situation, and not underestimate China’s determination to safeguard its sovereignty and territory,” the mouthpiece added.
Later, both side agreed that the overall situation would be handled in a responsible manner, and both sides would implement the disengagement understanding of June 6 sincerely.
“Neither side would take any action to escalate matters and instead, ensure peace and tranquillity as per bilateral agreements and protocols,” it added.